It is important to know how to SEO optimise your WordPress site. This will help with speeding up your site and improve your ranking possibility on Google.
This article will show you 9 things you should be doing in order to SEO optimise your WordPress Site.
1. Chose a domain
Quick note on domain names – don’t use a hyphen in your domain – Google hates it – and try to go for .com or if not .net.
2. Select a hosting company
Hosting is important – trust me on this. I have researched this thoroughly – if you haven’t already purchased hosting just go with SiteGround. I was using HostGator before – don’t do it.
3. Select a WordPress plugin
When choosing your theme for WordPress, choose a lightweight fast one. I use GeneratePress which is FREE. I actually spy on my competitors by using WPThemeDector (https://www.wpthemedetector.com/) to see what they are using.
4. Install an SSL certificate
Install an SSL certificate on your site – no one including wants to see a ‘not secure’ website. If it doesn’t come with your hosting then find someone on Fiverr.
Cloudflare CDN – this is an absolute game changer and it is free. This really is the key. It is free – your website needs to be “www.”. Don’t worry if It is not as there is a work around.
6. Install WordPress plugin
WordPress plugins to get – All FREE
- Akismet Anti-Spam – to stop those dam spammers spamming your comment box.
- GDPR Cookie consent – this is needed especially to comply with GDPR regulations.
- Redirection – Manage all your 301 redirects and monitor 404 errors.
- SG Optimiser – you get this with SiteGround. If you don’t get SiteGround install W3 Total Cache.
- Smush – Reduces image file sizes, improves performance and boosts your SEO.
- Yoast SEO – come on you must have at least heard of this!
- Sucuri Security – Auditing, Malware Scanner and Hardening.
- Google Analytics for WordPress by MonsterInsights – this just tracks who is coming to your site so you can see what is working.
7. Add legal pages
8. Add domain to Google Search Console
Go to Google Search Console
- Add property – add all 4 versions of your site + follow the steps to verify that you own these pages
- Create page and post sitemaps
- Create robots.txt file
- Make sure your website is indexed on google ‘ fetched’ – go to url inspection.
9. Create backlinks
To get some really powerful backlinks:
- Do a press release on PRBlog
- Do an article on Medium. If your articles includes any affiliate links make sure you clear state this in your article e.g., ‘this link is an affiliate link and if you purchase using this link I will receive a small commission’ – don’t mess with Medium they will just remove your content and block you
- Share each post you create on every social media account you have
- Contact me if you want to find out how to get some super powerful backlinks!!!!!
If you have any questions then leave them in the comments below.